Saturday, March 2, 2019

Russell Dee's Birth Story


Russell, ever since you were known about and growing in my belly and I knew my due date of March 19, 2019 I told myself that you would be born on March 1st! That was the day, so I had decided. This is the story of how you almost made me right.

My pregnancy with you has definitely been my hardest pregnancy yet. I was so excited for you to come but you sure made it hard for me while you were growing. I was pretty sick until about 30 weeks and even then I still got nauseous from time to time until the very end. I was much more tired and uncomfortable with this pregnancy as well. I wanted to you grow and be born on time so you would be healthy and strong but I was very anxious to have you in my arms and to feel better again.

Wednesday March 27, 2019; I was 37 and 1 weeks and I was working that day. I ran over in the afternoon for a Dr. appointment. I was anxious to see if my body was getting ready for your arrival. The nurse midwife checked me and a student checked me a few times. I was dilated to just about a 4 and effaced to 90%. I went back to my shift after that and started to feel some pressure and contractions here and there. I thought that you would definitely be coming in the next week for sure.

Thursday March 28th, 2019; I woke up this morning to some more pressure here and there and stronger contractions, but nothing was regular. Dad got up and went to work and I got up and took Abby to school just like any other Thursday morning. I had a lot of things to get done that day. I used the bathroom and lost my mucous plug; contractions were still here and there, but getting stronger. I called Dad and said “We’re probably going to have a baby tonight and I have a lot of things to get done today, so stay close to your phone!” And then I set off getting things done. I had to cook pulled pork and make salad dressing for a baby shower on Saturday. I had to do laundry and clean the house (bathroom, sweeping/mopping etc.) I just kept plugging away, working through contractions and getting things done. Your brother Thomas was my little helper all morning!

I packed a bag for Abby and Thomas to stay over at Grandma Mimi’s just in case; my bag was packed and the car seat was ready to go. Everything was by the front door, just in case.
I picked Abby up from school at noon and got Abby and Thomas some lunch. I had gotten all the house work done and only had a few loads of laundry left to do. The dressing was made and I had just finished shredding the pork and put it back in the crock pot to finish cooking. It was about 3:30pm and the contractions just hit. They came on really strong and regular. I called Dad and was a little emotional. I was definitely in pain. I told him that we were going to have a baby tonight!

I was already planning on going to Grandma Mimi’s house that night for dinner and she was going to watch Thomas while Abby and I went to Sarajane’s play. (Daddy had a guys night planned with his buddies) I was just trying to get everything done before we headed down there. But the onset of labor sped things up a little bit.

Dad called our neighbor Leslie Barton to come and get the meat and the dressing for the shower, since the meet was still cooking and I couldn’t leave it there at the house. The plan was for me to meet Dad at Grandma’s house to drop Abby and Thomas off and then we’d head up to the hospital. Leslie came over and got the food. She could see that I was in labor and graciously helped me get all the bags and such in the car and helped buckle Abby and Thomas in the car as well. After she left I went inside to grab the phone chargers and I heard the dryer go off. I had one more load of laundry in the washer that I just had to switch over before we left. So I did get everything done that I needed to (except the vacuuming). I got in the car and told the kids that we were going to have a baby tonight. Abby got excited and said “What!?”

As I was driving I called Grandma and told her we were on our way and that I’d be dropping the kids off, Dad would meet me there, and then we’d be going to the hospital. She seemed very surprised! I was talking and breathing through contractions and Grandma was worried about me driving to her house by myself. I felt ok though. I just had to keep driving. The closer I got to Grandma’s house the more emotional I felt. Not just that the contractions were strong, but I was feeling nostalgic. This is the last time I’d be driving my two little kids before I’d be a mom of three little kids! Abby and Thomas had both fallen asleep in the car and I looked back at them thinking how much I loved them and how excited I was to meet you and it was all quite emotional!

I pulled into Grandma’s house and took in the kids diaper bag and I broke down and cried. The contractions were quite painful at this point and I was feeling worried about Abby and Thomas – they were fine it’s just a mom thing I guess. I went in to use the restroom and then Dad got there. I gave Abby and Thomas a big hug and a kiss and off we went. Just Dad and I and a baby car seat in the back of the truck.

We arrived at the hospital, dad parked at the valet – apparently in the wrong spot ;) – I jumped out and just started walking in. Dad caught up and we started walking up to L&D. Dad offered a wheel chair but I was already on the move so we just kept walking. We checked in at OB Emergency Services at about 5:00pm. We had to wait a while for a room to be cleaned. By the time we got into a room and the nurse got me hooked up to the monitor and checked me it was about 5:30pm. Before that she asked me if I had had babies this early before. I said yes. She asked me if I thought this was the real deal and I said definitely yes! She checked me and had a surprised look on her face. She said “I can’t really feel any cervix and I’d say you’re dilated to about an 8. I was quite surprised! I thought I would be at a 5 or 6 or something, but and 8. I was pleasantly surprised. That meant it wouldn’t be too much longer.

Well after that they moved pretty quickly to get me into a room. My nurse’s name was Sara and she was excellent. I was so impressed with her! We ran into the charge nurse on the way to our room. Her name is Stacy and she’s in our stake in the Stake YW Presidency. Dad knows her and works with her. So she helped out also.  I can’t say enough how impressed I was with the L&D department.
I was pretty dehydrated so it took a while to get an IV started – 3 attempts. Dad got a little light headed again ;). I requested that there be no residents or students. I called over to my NICU and asked that they send over the NICU team when I delivered. My friend Alisa Hansgen was working in Room 1 that day, she is so great. I was happy she was there. Sara, our nurse, kept telling me how amazing I was and that when she had kids she wanted to be like me. She was pretty impressed with how I was handling labor without an epidural – honestly I was too. I felt really in control. It was just Dad and me in the room with our Nurse. It felt so nice to have it be just us in that special time. Dad was so great and encouraging. He is amazing!

Dr. Draper happened to be out of town that day so we had his associate Dr. Debbink. She was fantastic! The nurse checked me again at about 10 after 6. She said I was still at about an 8 and my water still hadn’t broken. I was surprised that I hadn’t progressed anymore yet. She said as soon as my water broke it would be pretty quick. So I said “ok great, let’s do it.” She went to get Dr. Debbink. She checked me and then broke my water. She said she would be back in a few minutes to check on me. I think it was probably about a minute longer and with my next contraction I felt like I needed to push! They called the Dr. back in and she said “well I knew it would be quick but not this quick!” I was surprised myself. They called in my NICU friends. I pushed about 2 times and out you came at 6:25 pm.  It took you a minute to cry and you were pretty cheesy. Your umbilical cord was pretty long. They said it was wrapped around your neck 3 times. Alisa took you and warmed you up and cleaned you up and then you were back in my arms.

I tucked you right into my shirt and just held you! It truly is the most amazing feeling to hold a brand new baby straight from heaven in your arms! We are so grateful to have you here in our arms and in our family! It took us a minute but we decided on the name Russell Dee Colton. Russell is a name dad liked, it’s also Uncle Richie’s middle name. We also liked that it is the name of our dear prophet, similar to Thomas’s name. Dee is Grandpa Terry’s middle name. He is such a good friend of ours and will be a second grandpa to you!

I was bleeding quite a bit after delivery so it took a while to get that under control and taken care of. But thankfully they did and once we were both all cleaned up they wheeled us to our recovery room. It was just Dad and I. You latched on and breast fed like a champ! We called Grandma Mimi and Papa and talked with Abby and Thomas and told them the great news. They were so excited to see you. It was pretty late though so we planned to have them meet you the next day. Once we were all settled we let Grandma Cait and Aunt Kristan come and meet you.

Friday March 1; it was a pretty sleepless night for Dad and I. You are so sweet and adorable, but awfully loud! In the morning we got ready and waited for Grandma Mimi and Papa and Abby and Thomas to come. They were so excited to meet you. They had waited such a long time! It was so sweet to watch all three of you together. Our hearts were so full! Abby and Thomas got to help with your first bath and they had so much fun with that! We took you home later that evening and got to sleep in our own beds. It was a whirlwind few days but we are SOO glad you are here safe and sound and that our family is growing! We love you so much Russell!

No comments:

Post a Comment