Saturday, February 13, 2021

Peter's Birth Story

 Peter's Birth Story

This is the story of how you were born. You were taking your dear sweet time to come and meet us. I had everything ready to go, for several weeks. Clothes washed, bassinet set up, mamaroo set up, even the crib set up. All the hospital bags were packed, ready and waiting by the door. We moved the dresser and filled it up with the things you would need. We were all so excited to meet you, especially me! I won’t lie, this pregnancy was just hard all around. I was anticipating you coming early just like your two other brothers – but you stuck it out until even later than Abby. You were my longest pregnancy, born at 38 and 4 days.

Every week I would go to the Dr. and every week there wasn’t much happening. At 36 weeks I was just at a 2 and 40%. At 37 weeks I made some progress and was at a 3 and 70%. But then at 38 weeks I went in and Dr. Draper said I was at a 2 and 30%. . .  you can imagine my disappointment plus the fact that that couldn’t possibly be true. I couldn’t go backwards! So I really had no idea where I was as. But Dr. Draper striped my membranes. I wasn’t getting my hopes up though because there wasn’t a guarantee that it would put me into labor. I tried not to be disappointed. I headed home. We did the usual Wednesday evening things. Dad went to class. We had dinner and Abby went to dance. We all went to get ice cream later. The kids had tubbies. Once all your siblings were in bed I went downstairs and started walking on the treadmill. I was determined to get my body to go into labor so we could meet you! I walked for about 30 minutes.

I was contracting pretty good while walking but was afraid that as soon as I stopped they would go away. I laid by Dad for a while as he listened to his Bishopric meeting then we both headed to bed. I was contracting but nothing super regular so we decided just to go to sleep. I couldn’t sleep though because I was feeling my contractions and looking at the clock and just not sure if it was real labor or not.

Grandma Mindy said she would come up and sleep over in case I went into labor over night. Finally at 11:00 I texted her and asked her to come. I wasn’t sure I was actually in labor but just in case I wanted her here. She arrived around 11:45 ish. I still had no idea where I was at labor wise so I asked her to check my cervix. She said I was at about 5 cm. She said I should go in. I’m not sure what I was thinking but I was so worried I would get there and they would send me home. But mom insisted I go. By then the contractions were getting stronger so I agreed. We got loaded up in the truck, I said goodbye to my 3 sleeping beauties – excited to finally meet the 4th, you, and we headed to the hospital. As we were driving my contractions started getting pretty intense and I think Dad was excited to ignore some traffic rules. He ran a few red lights and we safely arrived at the hospital just in time at about 1:00 am.

I walked all the way up to the second floor from the parking garage.  They got me checked in and into a room at OB emergency and checked me. The nurse said she couldn’t feel any cervix. In my mind I’m thinking “ok so I’m 100% effaced.” I asked her what I was dilated to. She said “Oh, no there is no cervix, you are complete!” Oh those words were music to my ears! I was there, I was so close! I said, “Ok, let’s break my water.” But they needed to do some things first. They wheeled me into the labor and delivery room, Dad by my side, and asked me lots of questions. It was about 1:15 am. We have a good friend, Stacey Gee, who helped with Russell’s delivery. She just so happened to be working that night and had just finished with another patient. We asked if we could have her and they said yes. We were so grateful she was there.

They asked what my medical history was. That seemed to me to be a very broad question but I did have the presence of mind to think what was pertinent and said that I have bled with every delivery. They focused on getting an IV in before they broke my water, to be on the safe side. It took 4 tries and they had to get the anesthesiologist. But he got it right it! Then it was time. They broke my water at close to 2:00 am.

You were sitting pretty high up, all my other babies were pretty low. So we had to wait a little bit for you to descend down. But I finally felt ready to push and you arrived at 2:11 am. There was a little bit of terminal mec as you came out. You were probably a little stressed out. I’m surprised you tolerated labor so well. You had the chord wrapped around your neck only twice but it was SO tight. I remember looking down watching them unwrap the cord and waiting for you to cry. But you did and it was a beautiful sound. They put you on my chest and we all started warming you up and drying you off. I remember you smooth soft skin against mine. You felt perfect. To be honest though I didn’t get a good look at you for a little while. Daddy cut the cord at 1 minute and then we just got to snuggle.

Your Daddy was amazing. He was so encouraging the entire way. He helped to counter pressure every time I would contract to help ease the pain. He held my leg and held my hand as I pushed and then was just the sweetest afterwards telling me what a great job I did and how amazing I was. He is a good man and I hope you grow up to be just like him!

I wanted to just revile in you; in your brand new-ness and have a special moment with you, me and Dad. But there were some complications. You were just perfectly healthy, but the placenta took a long time to come out. They kept pushing on my belly and asking me to push and it was SO uncomfortable and painful. Once the placenta finally delivered I just kept bleeding and bleeding. They gave me methergin and hemabate and started a bag of IV pitocin. But those weren’t helping as well as they wanted so they ended up putting a Jada in. This is a suction device to help stop the bleeding and get my uterus to contract down. It was terribly painful to put in.

Once that was all finished I was finally able to get a good look at you. I feel like I didn’t actually get to meet you for at least a half an hour. They gave you your newborn meds and took you to weigh you and assess you. You were perfect! You weighed 7 lbs. 1 oz. and were 20 in. long. You are my biggest baby and longest too. I couldn’t believe how big you were, compared to the others, but you still seemed SO small. Then it was back to skin to skin and your first breast feed. You latched on like a champ and ate for 20 minutes on both sides and then acted like you wanted more. You are a natural!! Daddy finally got to hold you and we had our little moment. You, me and Daddy celebrating your birthday! You were just perfect. Ten tiny toes and ten fingers; a cute little upturned nose just like Abby; a round head just like Tom; Russell’s little mouth; but yet you had your own unique look. I was pretty sure I wanted your name to be Peter. I have liked that name for a long time. We struggled with what the middle name should be for a while. We finally decided on Peter Franklyn Colton. Franklyn is my grandpa, my Dad’s dad. It’s a good strong name.

We didn’t really get any sleep the night you arrived. By the time they moved us into the post partum room it was about 5 am. The nurses did their sign off report and then the aid checked both of our vital signs. Then 2 hours later they did it all again. We tried to take a few naps during the day but there were lots of interruptions. We video called Grandma Mimi and you got to meet Abby, Thomas, and Russell for the first time. Abby was SO excited and couldn’t wait to hold you!  

The pediatrician team came by and took a good look at you. They wanted to get an ultrasound on your spine because they thought there was a little dimple. But the US looked fine and you are 100% perfect. Daddy and I spent the rest of the day just holding and loving you! At about 2 pm they took out all of my tubes and I could finally get up and walk around; it felt so good! We were hoping to get some better sleep that night but true to your fashion (you always were most awake in my tummy when I was going to sleep) you woke up and were bright eyes. We had a hard time getting you to fall asleep and stay asleep. You slept just fine on your own during the day but at night you just wanted to be held. Daddy took a turn so I could sleep. He said he tried everything; wrapping you, skin to skin, but you just weren’t happy. I fed you and then tried to lay you in your crib. It was about 5 am and I finally just laid you in bed next to me; then you were out cold! We’re going to have to work on getting your days and nights switched.

Daddy and I got to give you your first bath on Friday morning. You didn’t love it very much. Then Daddy had a meeting for an hour or so. While he was gone we both took a really good nap. After lunch we were able to be discharged and head home. I knew your siblings were so anxious to meet you!

When we left the hospital it was snowing pretty hard. It was so beautiful. We brought you inside and opened up your car seat. Abby, Tom and Russ were so excited. We weren’t sure how Russell would do but he wanted to be the first to hold you and didn’t want anyone else to have a turn. It was pretty cute to watch how much he loved you already! Abby held you and then Tom too. You have a house full of people who love you SOO much! We are just so excited to finally have you here and so glad that you are part of our family!

No comments:

Post a Comment