Thanksgiving weekend was one of pure bliss for me this year. Compared to last year when I worked a 12 hour shift on Thanksgiving and the Friday and Saturday following, this year was work free! I was off from Wednesday through Saturday. And as a bonus, I was scheduled to work Sunday but I was called off! It was so relaxing and calm. I was in heaven!
Thanksgiving was lots of fun. Garhett and I slept in a little and then watched to Macy's Thanksgiving
Day Parade while lounging in our jammies. My poor husband pulled all the clothes out of the closet trying to find his transformer pajama pants... but they were no where to be found. (If anyone knows where I can find some I think my husband would be super excited to open them for Christmas.)
Day Parade while lounging in our jammies. My poor husband pulled all the clothes out of the closet trying to find his transformer pajama pants... but they were no where to be found. (If anyone knows where I can find some I think my husband would be super excited to open them for Christmas.)
| Here's what they look like. Pretty amazing, huh!? |
I told Garhett we had to go do something active before we binge at two Thanksgiving dinners that night. So we went for a little hike up the canyon by our house. It was just warm enough. It was the PERFECT fall day! (one of the last of the season too.) We hiked for about 30 ish minutes. I wish it could have been longer but we got started a little too late. It felt great to get our blood pumping and to feel so energized.
We started our Thanksgiving feast marathon at Garhett's mom's house with his family. We ate and chatted and even played a few games. If you've never heard of the game 'Spot It' go look it up. It's surprising how fun it is. And it's super easy to learn and to play. We had to sit and relax for a little bit and let our food settle before we headed to our next feast.
| My lovely mother showing off her fabulous turkey! |
Next stop, my parents house where we enjoyed more delicious food, good conversations, and of course a fun game to end the evening. Boys against girls of course. It wouldn't be right if there wasn't a good healthy competition at the Matheson home. (Boys won.... I think they may have cheated though! ;) )
By the end of the night the load of tryptophan in our systems was finally kicking in - full force! Ok, maybe just for me. Of course Garhett still had energy to watch a little 'Start Trek: Into Darkness'. (I will not disclose how many times he has watched this movie for, his own sake). I promptly fell asleep cuddled up next to him; which happens to be one of my very favorite places to be.
My sister Marcie convinced me it would be a great idea to go out shopping on Black Friday. Now, I am not a huge shopper, and I like it even less when it's crowded. So why I agreed to this is beyond me. But much to my surprise, it really wasn't that bad. So as sick as I think the people who went out shopping on Thanksgiving are, thank you for doing it so that Friday morning was not so crowded for me. We actually had a good time, and after shopping we hit the gym. It was a great day with some genuine sister bonding time.
Saturday was relaxing, I cleaned and put up my Christmas decorations... yes all 10 of them. (Haven't quite gotten a great collection of decorations yet, but I'll get there) Garhett was studying and finishing final projects for the end of the semester. Poor husband. I'm so glad it will be over soon though, for his sake of course! :) But honestly, I'm a little selfish and just want him all to myself instead of sharing him with his books!

| Garhett thought I was so cute sitting there making sure the lights work. (We probably have about 10 pictures like this before I noticed he as actually taking pictures. . . 'That SNEAKY husband!') |
We topped off the weekend by going to see 'Catching Fire!' I read all the books and loved them, and I have to say, I was NOT disappointed in the movie. I think they did a great job!
Now to end my Thanksgiving post, I see it only fitting to express what I am most grateful for this year.
I am grateful for a sweet, loving husband who still, a year later, absolutely adores me! He is so selfless and kind. I'm not sure how I got so lucky or blessed to have him but I am so very grateful. I am grateful for a wonderful and supportive family and parents. I am grateful to be able to come home to a warm house and a fridge full of food. I so often take that for granted. I am grateful to have a job and a steady income and I am grateful for the kind of job I have. I LOVE caring for the tiny babies in the NBICU. I am blessed to be able to care for these tiny spirits that have entered this world before their earthly bodies are ready for them. They are so pure and innocent! And lastly, I am grateful for my Savior. I am grateful for his loving sacrifice that allowed him to so perfectly succor me - of which I have felt so much of the past few month. I am grateful to know of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ.
I love how perfectly the meaning of Thanksgiving leads into the true meaning of Christmas. I LOVE this time of year!
No comments:
Post a Comment